Return to Page Two

Click for next page
  Click the BACK image to return.

Click here to exit this issue

Click NEXT PAGE to continue  

Page 3 of the MAY 1996 ISSUE OF PASS PATROL CAMPFIRE TALES

The May issue included here contains the stories and not the advertisements. Keep in mind, the stories here were written in 1996.  

This issue includes

Hole in the Rock

The San Juan Mission

Continued from Page Two

They came in small groups from every direction until their numbers grew to 250 men & women, 50 children, 200 horses, and more than 1000 head of cattle. They were on a mission from the Church. A hard mission ... the San Juan Mission ... expected to last six weeks. It took them six months to reach their new settlement near four corners, now known as Bluff, Utah.

HOLE IN THE ROCK - Another of the many adventures of PASS PATROL

April 13, 1996, Pass Patrol camped at the Fort near Halls Crossing. Our mission was simple. We would drive in to Hole In the Rock from the east, hike to the lake, and pick up the trail where we left off last year, following it all the way to Bluff. It would take us six days. This trip was a little different than most. It involved hiking. Lots and lots of hiking.

We camped at the top of Cottonwood Hill within view of Hole In The Rock five (crow) miles away. When morning came, Happy Jack decided to stay at camp, while Trapdoor and Slowpoke joined me for the hiking trip down Cottonwood Hill. We passed through “Little Hole”, across Sand Hill, and came to the waterfall at the point where the trail reaches the floor of the canyon. Trapdoor decided to take advantage of the cool water in the deep pool while Slowpoke and I continued toward Register Rock at the shore of Lake Powell.  At about two (foot) miles in, we reached the water’s edge where Lake Powell backs up into Cottonwood Canyon. Slowpoke decided the remaining three (foot) miles were too rocky for his dog to get over, so I continued alone. I reached Register Rock at just past noon.

From register rock to the top of Hole In The Rock across the lake is about 1.8 (crow) miles. On this same date, exactly one year ago, I hiked to the bottom of Hole In the Rock and stared at Register Rock from the other side. It was easy to imagine that I had just crossed the lake on a raft and was now on my way to Bluff.

Copyright (c) 2016 Lone Writer, LLC. All rights reserved.

Click here to continue story