Return to page one

Click for next page
  Click the BACK image to return.

Click here to exit this issue

Click NEXT PAGE to continue  

PAGE 2 OF THE DECEMBER 1994 ISSUE OF PASS PATROL CAMPFIRE TALES

Keep in mind, the stories here were written in 1994.  A LOT HAS CHANGED.

This issue includes
Denver Pass

Campfire Tales - December of 1994.  This issue recovered by Robert Noll, aka Sundance

HOW DID YOU GET A JOB LIKE THIS?

“I was laid off from my job so I turned my hobby into work.  That way I can play and work at the same time.”  I probably repeat that line a hundred times a year.

In reality, it’s a lot more complex than that.  What better time than the Christmas Holidays to reflect on the past, thank those who helped get me through it, and answer the question.

I was born and raised on a farm in Illinois.  I’m one of those fathers who waits for my kids to complain about work so I can tell them how I shoveled manure all week long just so I could buy enough gas to chase girls on the weekend.  Girls were faster in those days.  It took lots of gas.

I am often asked, “How long you been 4wheeling?”

“I was 4wheeling before it was called 4wheeling.  We called it farming.”

At the age of 20, I moved to Chicago to attend electronics school.  In the years that followed, I became a very good electronics technician.  By the time 1976 rolled around, I had lots of experience and landed a job as a computer technician.

I worked my way into management and transferred as needed.  In ’84, I was transferred to Denver.  The Denver district included most of six states and it thrived under my management.  But a corporate raider began taking the company apart.  I was able to shield the Denver District from corporate woes for years, but sooner or later the hawks would come.  I was laid off in August in ’91.

Larry and sons

Copyright (c) 2016 Lone Writer, LLC. All rights reserved.

Click here to continue story