Return to page two

Click for next page
  Click the BACK image to return.

Click here to exit this issue

Click NEXT PAGE to continue  

PAGE 3 OF THE DECEMBER 1994 ISSUE OF PASS PATROL CAMPFIRE TALES

Keep in mind, the stories here were written in 1994.  A LOT HAS CHANGED.

This issue includes
Denver Pass

Campfire Tales - December of 1994.  This issue recovered by Robert Noll, aka Sundance

By that time, I was already well known as Pass Patrol’s fearless leader and 4wheeling fanatic. I was already a legend in my own mind.  I was truly addicted to 4wheeling.  Every spare moment of time since ’85 had been spent exploring Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, and Wyoming.  (I’m getting ahead of the story here.  Let’s back up to ’85.)

Pass Patrol was never planned.  It just happened.  I traded the family car in for a 4x4 in the fall of ’85.  I rounded up some friends who owned 4x4s, studied some maps, and

It came alive in ‘85
It’s wheels began to roll,
As a group of friends, women and men,
formed the Pass Patrol

We didn’t call it Pass Patrol in ’85.  At first, we didn’t call it anything.  After all, there really wasn’t anything to name.  We were just a group of friends who like to explore.  I was hooked.  The more of it I did, the more I wanted.

With weekend supplies and 4wheel drives
they seek forgotten trails,
To explore the past and help it last
and uncover ghost town tales.

Pass Patrol provided me with means to release tension.  All week long was spent dodging corporate nonsense and battling corporate henchmen as districts fell one after the other across the nation.  I became good at it, but the price I paid was high.  To survive, I had to live like an outlaw, breaking rules to keep my district alive and living one showdown after the other with corporate gunslingers.  I became known within the company as Billy the Kid.  Although the battles were fought with words, interoffice memos, and profit and loss statements, they were as real as any gunfight in the streets of 1890.  The loser was either badly wounded (politically) or terminated (without a job).  I had been wounded may times, but Billy the Kid had lots of notches on his gun.  I could never turn my back on anyone within the company, not even my own Pat Garrets.  Pass Patrol was my only escape.

They bounce and bump, over boulders and stumps
and tread water up to the door,
They use 4wheel low, through mud and snow,
in search of tales & lore.

Copyright (c) 2016 Lone Writer, LLC. All rights reserved.

Click here to continue story